Monday 24 February 2014

Want to hear an interesting story about..?

Hayley sitting on the offending bench in the otherwise lovely gardens of St. Paul's
I've taken on many different persona's at one time or another. The latest one I've fallen into is the person who has a story about everything. (Everything is an exaggeration, but there's a point here so I'll press on.)

During a reporting task at Uni, one of the people being researched had attended the Brentwood Private school round the corner from where I live. After telling everyone that Frank Lampard had been there and got his A Level in Latin, I remembered something else.

"Want to know another interesting fact about Brentwood School?" I enquired confidently...

On reflection my interesting fact, that I once got run out without facing a ball there in a school cricket match, was less an interesting fact and more an embarrassing memory. You'd have thought I'd learn from this realisation? Apparently not.

A week later I was asked if I had ever been to St Paul's Cathedral, and after trying to recall a primary school trip there I suddenly remembered I'd been back a lot more recently.

"Want to know another interesting fact about St. Paul's Cathedral?"

This one was even worse than the first, I was essentially voluntarily informing people I had once fallen spectacularly over a bench in the gardens there. At the time of telling the story I couldn't even remember why I had tried to leap over it, I've subsequently remembered, and yet it still doesn't fully make sense...

The moral of this story? Learn from your mistakes, don't let lightening strike twice, and for the love of god, if I offer up and interesting fact, turn it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment